Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2016

Module Evaluation

Context of Practice 3
OUGD601
Billie Meredith

Module Evaluation

This module has been surprisingly enjoyable in parts. In terms of writing I had a very start late. Lacking confidence in my question lead to it being changed and writing not beginning ‘till late in the year. This was mostly because of the weight of the decision and wanting it to give me the best chance of showing my academic abilities. Though it was a slow start, eventually, I really did enjoy writing. It allowed me to learn a lot outside of just 'design', exploring what is behind a brand. These external sources of inspiration really helped me through the writing process, allowing interests outside of Graphic design to fuel me. The marketing strategies and architecture were particular points of interest for me. It was good to step back from everything visual and look solely at what constructs brands and why they do what they do.
Standardisation and formatting was my most difficult task. I was easily panicked by what was correct and what wasn't. My time management was good this year though could have been better. In the future I want to take the step to plan a complete methodological approach to the work. Although I did this to a certain extent with this module, I am often put off extensive planning because the pull of just starting the project makes spending time planning seem superfluous. My methodology for writing my essay was incredibly successful; writing drafts and being able to comb through them helped me improve my academic writing. Being able to recognize a lack of quotes or analysis was found to be a great tool.

In terms of the final result, there was so much research that didn't make it into the word count, or I didn't find enough time to refine. Despite this, the knowledge I collected through this research was invaluable in allowing me to form a complete, and contextualised image of the topic that was my focus. Keeping my topic simple and in depth, simultaneously was a challenge. However, being able to step back and assess the relevance of information allowed me to maintain a concise focus throughout.

My practical element synthesizes with chapter 3, looking at visual elements and packaging of the supermarket own-ranges. Low-end, cheap brands were the most fascinating to me. The intentional simplicity and arguably poor design quality, was something that was very interesting to grapple with.

In hindsight, there is much more I would have not only liked to produce as well as input, research wise. But with outside circumstances continuing to greatly affect my time management and work ethic, this has continued to be a struggle for me. Despite all this I am proud of what I have been able to achieve in the time frame, but look forward to growing and exploring this topic further in my own time and practice.